Finnish state recently launched a system for Citizen Initiatives. If 50000 Finnish citizens - about 1% of the electoriate - sign a Citizen Initiative, then the legislative parliament is obliged to process the initiative.
What kind of initiatives gather most support? Below are the top 6 initiatives. In general, citizens want the state to do less - only the sixth initiative asks the state to do more.
- 1. Equal Marriage - Allow gay marriage by deregulating the sex of the marriage partners.
- 2. More Sensible Copyright Law - Most items in the proposal deregulate or decrease punishments.
- 3. Allow Possession And Use Of Cannabis - Deregulate cannabis
- 4. Limit Large Animal Population - Lighter regulation for shooting wolves, bears etc. which walk near human population
- 5. Vote about EU exit - Lighter regulation from EU
- 6. Guaranteed Basic Income